The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) offers scholarships granting up to P60,000 per school year to Overseas Filipino Workers’ dependents.
The Education for Development Scholarship Program or the EDSP can be granted to OFW dependents who wish to enroll or are already enrolled in a 4-5 year course program in any preferred university. EDSP scholars can receive a maximum of P60,000 (per school year). Upon approval, the EDSP shall take effect on school year 2018-2019.
The OFW Dependent Scholarship Program or OFWDSP on the other hand is offered to students planning on studying/ already studying in a state college or university and whose family member receives a monthly salary not higher than US$400 (P30,478). The OFWDSP covers P20,000 (per school year) of a student’s school expenses; however, since state colleges are now tuition free, the money granted to OFWDSP scholars can be used for other school fees, and the rest of the money is given to the student, but should be used for other academic-related expenses only. Upon approval, the OFWDSP shall take effect on school year 2018-2019.
To be eligible for the scholarships, one has to make sure that the dependent applicant is not receiving any other scholarship grants, is the only family member (child or sibling) of the OFW receiving the EDSP, and has not previously taken any OWWA scholarship qualifying exam.
The OFW has to be an active member of the OWWA and their dependents must not be: over 21 years of age, with a grade not lower than 80% and belong to the upper 20% of the graduating class, must be a Filipino citizen, must have passed the qualifying exam provided by the Department of Science and Technology, and must have passed the college entrance exam which he/ she intends to enroll in.
The two aforementioned scholarships have the same requirements. The necessary documents for the application are as follows:
- (2) Accomplished copies of application forms – available at the OWWA website
- (2) 2” x 2” recent picture of dependent
- Proof of relationship to active OWWA member (NSO Birth certificate of applicant if child of OFW, NSO birth certificate of both applicant and OWWA member if sibling, Certificate of No Marriage if OFW is unmarried)
- Transcript of Records with Principal’s Certification on academic distinction (Form 137)
- Proof of OWWA membership (Official receipt of OWWA contribution or OFW verification sheet)
- Medical certificate with proof of applicant’s physical fitness (Form 2A)
- Certificate of Good Moral Character issued by the applicant’s school (Form 2B)
- (2) Copies of certification that proves applicant is part of the upper 20% of the graduating class (Form 2C)
- Statement of parents that he/she has not earned units in any post-secondary/undergraduate course and not a recipient of any scholarship grant / has not taken the EDSP qualifying exam (Form 2D)
- Statement of applicant that he/she has not applied for resident immigrant status in any country and is not a dual citizen signed by parent or legal guardian (Form 2E)
After meeting the aforementioned requirements for either scholarships, bring the complete set of documents to the nearest OWWA office on or before July 31, 2017. The OWWA will be accepting at least 1000 applicants instead of 200 this year for the EDSP as per their provision while 1250 applicants will be accepted for the OFWDSP. The application for the scholarships starts every June of every school year. Visit their website http://owwa.gov.ph, for more detailed information.